HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF UNIVERSITY EDUCATION IN PRODUCTION ENGINEERING
Production engineering as a separate area of mechanical engineering has a long history in our university education, which spans three centuries. The timeline below cites the most important
1894: In September, Eng. Todor-Toša Selesković was elected a professor of Mechanical Technology at the Technical Faculty of the Grand School in Belgrade.
1895: January 13, by a decree of the Minister of Education Eng. Toša Selesković was appointed the professor of Mechanical Technology at the Technical Faculty of the Grand School in Belgrade.
1897: Mechanical-Technical Department was formed thanks to Prof. Toša Selesković who scheduled and secured supply of necessary equipment for the Mechanical and Technical Workshop.
1905:In February, the Grand School was proclaimed a University by the University Law. In July, Eng. Aćim Stevović was elected a professor for the subjects of Machine Tools, Encyclopaedia of Mechanical Engineering, and Construction Machinery.
1922: By a decree the Mechanical Engineering Department was renamed Mechanical-Electrical Engineering Department of the Technical Faculty which existed until March 1946.
1923/1924: By the 1922 decree the Department for Mechanical Engineers was founded and the subject of Machine Tools was introduced, and Prof. Aleksandar I. Kosicki was appointed the professor.
1932: According to the University general decree, based on the University Law, at the Mechanical-Electrical Engineering Department, among others, the Chair of Machine Tools was founded.
1945: The then Teaching Assistant Eng. Pavle Stanković was assigned to teach the subjects of Machine Tools and Aircraft Equipment.
1946: Institute of Mechanical Engineering of Belgrade University was founded (Head: Prof. Dr. M. Nenadović).
1946: At the October 2 session the Mechanical Engineering Department decided that the subjects Machine Tools and Industrial Machinery Production would be taught to all students of 7 th and 8 th semesters. This decision was not implemented until academic year 1948/49. The subject Machine Tools had been taught until then.
1948: The Technical Faculty was separated from the University into the self-contained Technical High School and the Mechanical Engineering Department was transformed into the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Belgrade.
1948: By the decision of the Council of the Technical Faculty the chairs were formed and the Chair of Basics of Mechanical Engineering covered the subjects of production engineering.
1948: Prof. Pavle Stanković was elected an Assistant Professor for the subject of Machine Tools and was appointed Head of the Institute of Mechanical Engineering (since 1952/53 the Institute for Machine Tools of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering).
1948: The first mechanical engineer graduated in machine tools on May 24.
1953: Prof. Pavle Stanković and his associates designed the first hydraulic short-stroke planer for the Ivo Lola Ribar Machine Industry in Zeleznik, which was used to build a protype.
1956: The Chair of Industrial Production was formed (apart from production engineering it comprised the area of scientific organization of labor).
1960: A new three-level university education scheme was introduced; in 3rd and 4th semesters Machining was a general course. Students of Preparation and Production Department attended the courses in Machine Tools and Equipment, and Machining in 6th, 7th and 8th semesters.
1960: By the statute of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, among others, the Chair of Technology was formed (apart from production engineering it involved the area of engineering materials).
1961: The first contract was concluded between Machine Tools Industry from Trebinje, Federal Fund for Scientific Work and Faculty of Mechanical Engineering-Institute for Machine Tools to accomplish scientific-research project in the area of the cutting process.
1963: The Institute for Tool Machines and Tools was formed by the Executive Council of SR Serbia, Association of Machine Tools Manufacturers-Masinounion and Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
1965: The first Consultative Meeting on Production Engineering was held in Belgrade.
1965: The Institute for Machine Tools was moved into new premises of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
1966: The first doctoral dissertation was defended in production engineering at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
1970: The first computer was installed at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
1971: Among others, the first Post-graduate School of production engineering was organized.
1971: The first Symposium on Production Management in Metal Processing Industry was held.
1972: The Chair of Production Engineering was formed and thereafter within the framework of reorganization of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering into basic organization of associated labor the associated labor unit for production engineering and computer application was established (ALU 1.01). Head of the Chair was Prof. Dr. Vladimir Šolaja.
1973: By the conventional milling machine extension, the first numerically controlled machine tool was built at the Chair of Production Engineering. Apart from being used for experimental purposes, it was deployed for building complex-geometry parts for domestic industry. This was the first numerically controlled vertical milling machine-based machine tool. A new curriculum was adopted.
1975: The Association for unique management of manufacturing-technological information resources for metal processing industry – JUPITER system was founded.
1977: The first modernization of the Institute for Machine Tools was performed by introducing a new computer laboratory center based on Digital computers PDP 11/34 and PDP 11/03. A new curriculum was developed and adopted.
1980: The second modernization of the Institute for Machine Tools was performed and CeNT (Center for new technologies) was formed. The first machining center HBG80 was installed at the Institute for Machine Tools.
1982: A new curriculum was adopted.
1983: The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering – Chair of Production Engineering and Institute for Machine Tools were included in a world survey of systems for technology design by computer application.
1987: Within the framework of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering reorganization and suspension of basic organization of associated labor the Institute for Production Engineering and CIM Center were formed at the Faculty.
1990: Industrial robot GOŠKO – RG-01 was installed at the Institute for Machine Tools.
1991: Educational industrial robot MITSUBISHI MOVEMASTER-EX was installed at the Institute for Machine Tools.
1992: Industrial robot LOLA 50 was installed at the Institute for Machine Tools and Profile projector ISOMA, M-119 was received by the firm ALATI pp KORUN from Užice.
1995: New laboratory premises of the CeNT were completed. The first local computer network was created; it was the first network at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Belgrade. A new curriculum was adopted.
1996: CeNT was substantially supplied with capital laboratory equipment (numerical lathe PH42, machining center HMC 500 and Erosimat machine). Software license was obtained: Windows 95, Office 95, Visual C++, Visual Fortran and Netware 4.1.
1997: PTC PRO/Engineer software package was purchased.
1999: A new curriculum was adopted.